Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Silly Ideas

 My November was spent engaged in NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. And my idea for the month was "Harry Potter, but Better." I basically took the premise of "magic school" and said "what if politics, and also dealing with nonmagic folk, and also gay?" 

I really enjoyed it. It was funny and silly and a real challenge to actualize not only the characters I sympathized with but also the ones that I didn't. After November ended I was tired, and a little burnt out on that plot, so I decided to take a step back and start on a different project, just to give my brain a little room to breathe. 

What did I start? 

"Twilight, but Better." 

Because I looked at my HP but Better setting and said to myself "I could use this for other urban fantasy stories, too." 

And I did. 

So now I have two stories in the works that are honestly very fun and that I'm invested in seeing actually complete (which is hard for me - finding an ending that is satisfying is just difficult). 

But I have to ask myself if these stories are as interesting as I think they are. And if I'm not planning to/able to publish, were these stories worth writing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Are Phone Calls So Hard?

I hate phone calls. I can sometimes get so used to them (when I have a job that makes me do them repeatedly) that I feel relatively neutral ...