Wednesday, November 24, 2021

A New Start

Are you guys getting tired of me talking about how hard it is to make a new habit? No? Good, because that's what I'm talking about again today. :D 

Through the month of November, I've worked hard to keep up a daily writing habit. One has to, if one is going to participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). But I'm struggling to find a consistent time in my schedule during which to write. I'd like to write in the morning, but feel the need to dedicate that time in other ways. I'd like to write first thing after my partner goes to work, but I've assigned that slot to my Bible reading. 

Which begs the question: when do I find time to write? 

The answer is simply... whenever I have a minute to do so. 

A million years ago, while I was still in college, my Creative Nonfiction professor pointed to me as an example of what a professional writer should look like. The fact that I carried a notebook with me wherever I went and spent spare moments scribbling instead of talking to real people was apparently a good thing. I have never let that go, and sometimes even cite it as a reason that I'm perfectly well adjusted, thank you very much. 

For some reason, this doesn't convince a lot of people. 

What it does do, though, is ensure that even when I don't have a lot of free time, I do get some writing done, one way or another. That habit of stealing a few minutes or an hour here and there to write something has stuck with me. And maybe that's just how I'm going to write for now. 

But hopefully I'll get myself a real schedule. Eventually. Somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Are Phone Calls So Hard?

I hate phone calls. I can sometimes get so used to them (when I have a job that makes me do them repeatedly) that I feel relatively neutral ...