Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Rebuilding Routine

Have you ever discovered that the tasks you used to do without thinking are not getting done, and that you need to reconstruct your routine after a vacation or holiday? Have you ever gone through the trouble of rebuilding your routine, only to find that there are things that have been left out of it for one reason or another? 

Is anyone else disappointed in this? 

When I moved across the country, there was a lot of driving and packing and unpacking and planning involved, so for several weeks before and several weeks after, my morning and evening routines were completely wrecked. I've spent the last month trying to put my routines back together again, but I'm still having trouble finding both the time and motivation to write, which is driving me mad

I think this really boils down to a matter of intentionality. I know generally what I want to get done in the morning and evening, but I've made no conscious effort to write down a list or make a real schedule of what I want my routine to look like. 

Now I want to be clear on this: scheduling your "standard" morning in time blocks to get thus-and-such done will almost never work as planned. Something will happen to throw off that schedule at least once a week, maybe more often, and trying to count on that regularity only to have it yanked out from under your feet time and again can be purely infuriating. 

With this in mind, I'm going to do my best to be a bit more intentional about things - about what I'm doing and about what I want. 

What about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Are Phone Calls So Hard?

I hate phone calls. I can sometimes get so used to them (when I have a job that makes me do them repeatedly) that I feel relatively neutral ...