Friday, July 30, 2021

Why I Don't Like Road Trips

 

Before I start, let me be clear on what I mean by "road trip," because I'm sure there are some folk out there that are currently looking horrified at the thought of someone disliking a literal vacation. 

A "road trip" is, by my definition, a journey by car from point A to point B exceeding 5 hours in length. The more days in which I must consecutively spend 5+ hours in the car, the less energetic/happy I will be, for the simple reason that being on the road for that long is tiring in multiple ways. 

I can imagine that there might be some disagreement on whether or not my definition is not too simplistic. Obviously, a road trip should also include destinations, breaks, snacks, audiobooks, tons of pictures, road games, carpool karaoke, and other accouterments of fun and merriment. But I think therein lies the snag - because those extras aren't always present. 

Now I like vacations as much as the next person, and I find them extremely enjoyable. I love garage saling, camping, antiquing, and gawping like a tourist in as many museums as I can possibly find. I love stopping at farmers' markets and little vegetable or fruit stands as I find them. I adore trading 'traveling with animals' stories with strangers at rest stops, and asking folk about what breed their dog is. Viewpoints and historic monuments are a distinct pleasure, and I will never pass by a river, lake, reservoir, or beach without at least attempting to take a picture of the water. 

But as I mentioned a minute ago, those things don't always happen, and sometimes you just have to drive for hours and hours to reach a particular, singular destination within a certain time. My own family, in a time long ago when I was small and annoying, would routinely make the 10+ hour drive to my Nan's house in Bull Shoals, AK, and generally we only stopped once or twice along the way - once for a bathroom break, and maybe once for food if it was getting late. 

It was miserable beyond words to express, and boring as anything. When there are no (or at least fewer) time constraints and the freedom/desire to stop at small towns, hole-in-the-wall diners, craft fairs, and interesting thrift shops, then the trip is exponentially more bearable and interesting for a combination of reasons: 

Primarily, it's better because the hours spent in the vehicle are broken up with chances to stretch our legs and move around, which minimizes physical discomfort and stiffness. But the stops also give us the opportunity as a couple, a family, or a friend posse to explore shared interests and discuss subjects we care about, whether that's conservation, art, or animal care. It's significantly more fun to enjoy time Doing Things Together than it is simply sitting together and trying to keep a conversation going long after your energy for thinking of new things to say has already run out. 

So I'm not saying that road trips are bad. 

I'm not saying that they're boring or not worthwhile. 

What I'm saying, both from past and recent experience, is that driving someplace just to get there can be tiring, uninteresting, and a severe tax on the patience of anyone young and trapped in the back seat. :) I personally prefer leisurely trips, allowing time for regular stops and whimsical detours when the fancy strikes. This obviously isn't always doable, but it goes a long way toward making such trips much more fun. 

Thus ends my ramble inspired by the last week, in which my partner and I have traveled 2,911 miles, and nearly 50 hours through 10 states and 4 time zones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Are Phone Calls So Hard?

I hate phone calls. I can sometimes get so used to them (when I have a job that makes me do them repeatedly) that I feel relatively neutral ...